Choosing New Doors for Your Home? Open Your Mind to These 3 Options
When it comes to choosing which door is right for your home, there are three different materials to choose from, each with its own set of pros and cons:
- Steel is the standard choice when it comes to exterior doors, and is considered one of the safest options with a high return on investment when it comes to selling your home. It is one of the strongest man-made materials, and it offers good protection against intruders.
- Energy-efficient steel doors also can save you money off home heating bills, by effectively sealing the entryway from drafts.
- They can suit a variety of budgets, ranging from a few hundred dollars for plain door that you can then customize with paint, lock set and hardware, up to several thousand dollars depending on adornments.
- Steel doors can be weakened by salt and rain, so this can be an important consideration if your entryway is constantly exposed to the elements (not set back by a porch, or covered by an awning).
- Under heavy use, a steel door can show signs of wear and tear faster than other materials, with an average lifespan of about 5-7 years.
- Fibreglass doors are one of the most versatile options, with tons of styles to choose from, some even mimicking the look of wood depending on texture.
- It is fairly low maintenance, as it isn't as affected by weather changes and swings in temperatures the way that steel can be. Fibreglass doors can last on average 10-15 years without needing significant repair.
- Doors made of this material have foam insulation, which can offer added insulation and protection from heat loss.
- While durable, fibreglass can crack under extreme force.
- Costs vary with style and features, but fibreglass generally falls in between steel and wood doors in terms of price.
- The appeal of a solid, heavy wood entry door is undeniable. It is the preferred choice of material for high-end, luxurious home renovations and can greatly enhance the curb appeal of your house.
- There are tons of options for finishes: an ornately carved handcrafted look can evoke feelings of old-world charm, while a smooth texture can complement a modern look. Various stains and colour choices are available as well. It's easy to customize wood doors to your exact taste.
- They do require maintenance, but scratches and dents are fairly easy to repair.
- Cost. A solid wood entry door can start at several thousand dollars and go up steeply from there. If cost is an issue, you may opt to go with a wood door for your grand entrance and a less expensive material for side and back exterior doors.
- They generally need to be repainted or refinished ever 1-2 years, to protect against warping and splitting.
- If you're concerned about the environmental impact of choosing a wood door, make sure you check that its Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) approved.
Door Installation & Repair in OttawaIt can be overwhelming to decide which door suits your needs and wants, but a professional door supplier and installer can take you through all the options and help you choose which material, features and styles work best for your budget and aesthetic. Visit Canadian Comfort Windows & Doors in Ottawa today to browse our extensive showroom.
®™ Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V.
Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Canadian Comfort.