Keeping Your Windows Clean this Fall Season
- Avoid streaks by using a window-washing squeegee with a smooth rubber edge. Always begin the cleaning process on dry glass and be sure to wash in either the evenings or on cloudy days. Cleaning your windows in direct sunlight will dry the soap and water much faster and leave streaks.
- Clean your blinds often to prevent a build-up of dust and then try using an antiseptic spray to keep the dust away.
- If you notice mildew on your window frames, clean it with a solution that includes two ounces of household bleach and one ounce of laundry detergent in a quart of water. Always wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. Let the solution sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it with clean water.
- One of the best ways to prevent your outside windowsills from getting dirty is by applying a coat of clear floor wax on them.
- Keep your shades clean by washing or dusting them. Simply use a Swiffer or soft cloth to rid them of dirt. If you notice spots or stains, it’s time to give them a good cleaning. It’s highly recommended that you remove them and wash them in the bathtub to contain the mess and make it easier on your body. If they are vinyl, you can use a solution with ¼ cup of white vinegar and one quart of warm water. You can even add a bit of dishwashing liquid for more of a lather. Once you have washed away the dirt, rinse them with clean water and use a soft cloth to dry them. It’s a good idea to review the care instructions before washing your shades to avoid damaging them.
- If your windows are getting dirty too quickly, you may have to change your furnace filter. Check your HVAC system to see the condition of your filter.
- If you smoke in your home, you may notice nicotine film or other grime on your windows. You will need to use an ammonia solution to effectively clean the glass. Use one cup of lemon scented ammonia in 1 ½ gallons of water.
- For optimal results, clean your dirty screens outside. Use a soft-bristled brush to scrub both sides of the screen with warm water and dishwashing detergent. Simply rinse the screen with your outdoor hose and let it air-dry before reinstalling it.
Contact Canadian Comfort Windows & Doors today at 613-717-9387 for more information on our wide selection of top-quality windows, doors and siding products. You can also book an appointment online for a free in-home estimate for replacement widows in Ottawa.
®™ Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V.
Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Canadian Comfort.