How to clean double-hung tilt windows
Installing double-hung tilt windows in your Ottawa home gives you the benefit of being able to clean the outside of the windows from the inside, saving you time and effort. If you’ve just installed new double-hung windows and aren’t sure how to clean them, here are some tips to help get you started.
What are double-hung tilt windows?
A double-hung window consists of two sashes. The bottom can slide up over the top sash, much like a traditional single-hung window. However, a double-hung window has a top sash that can slide down underneath the bottom sash, allowing for more venting options.
Moreover, both sashes can tilt inward, maximizing airflow and enabling you to clean them from inside your home. The tilting feature makes double-hung tilt windows an excellent option for multi-storey homes where you would otherwise require a ladder to clean them.
Cleaning double-hung windows
Cleaning a double-hung window is a relatively straightforward process that anyone can do. Just follow these steps to make your windows shine, inside and out.
- Place a chair in front of the window
- Unlock the window.
- Raise the bottom sash about eight centimetres.
- Find the tilt latches on either side of the top frame of the lower sash — squeeze them in and pull the window inwards.
- Open the lower sash all the way. You can let it rest upside down on the back of the chair while still hanging to the frame.
- Repeat the above steps for the upper sash.
- Clean the glass with a window cleaner or a mixture of vinegar and water.
- Use a paper towel or a squeegee to dry the windows with a streak-free shine.
- Clean the frames (how to clean PVC vinyl windows).
- Lift and re-insert the upper sash into its frame. Listen for a click to ensure it’s locked into place.
- Raise the upper sash to its original position.
- Repeat for the lower sash, ensuring it’s locked into place and lowering it to its original closed position.
Clean the inside glass panes and vinyl frames after locking the windows back into place. You’ve now successfully cleaned both sides of your double-hung windows without going outside.
Double-hung PVC vinyl windows in Ottawa and the surrounding area
At Canadian Comfort Windows & Doors, we carry a wide range of beautiful, durable and energy-efficient windows, including slider, single-hung and double-hung windows. We can help you choose your new PVC vinyl windows, and their installation by our efficient, professional technicians is fully warrantied. To request a free estimate for our installed products, contact us in Ottawa today.