How to clean PVC doors and windows
PVC windows and doors are popular thanks to their affordability and stylish appearance. Fortunately, they require little maintenance, but regularly cleaning them will help keep them looking new and prolong their lifespan. Here’s what you need to know to wash them.
What you’ll need
Cleaning PVC windows and doors requires only a few basic household items. You probably have the following things in your home right now:
- A vacuum
- A soft brush or small broom
- A spray bottle
- White vinegar
- Warm water
- Liquid dish soap
- Paper towels
- A squeegee
What to do: window frames and doors
Follow these six steps to clean your PVC windows. Use the same technique to clean your PVC doors as well.
- Open the window as much as possible.
- Use a soft brush or small broom to loosen debris from the window frame and the rails.
- Vacuum all the loose dirt from the inside of the frame, including the rails.
- Mix 250 millilitres of white vinegar with one litre of warm water. Use a spray bottle to apply the spray to the frames. Leave the vinegar on the surface for about 10 minutes.
- Wipe down the PVC with a soft cloth and allow the window to dry before closing.
- If you spot mould, consider applying a special mould disinfectant treatment.
What to do: glass
To clean glass components in windows and doors, follow these steps:
- Put a few drops of liquid dish soap in a bowl of warm water.
- Use a soft cloth and wipe the pane with the soapy water.
- Starting at the top, remove excess water with paper towels or a squeegee using a side-to-side motion.
- Mix 500 millilitres of water with 175 millilitres of vinegar.
- Dip a piece of newspaper in the solution and wipe the glass with it in a circular motion to achieve a streak-free finish.
Products to avoid when cleaning a PVC window
Some cleaning products can damage your PVC’s shiny finish. Avoid:
- Abrasive cream and other cleaners
- Ammonia-based cleaning products
You should also make sure to avoid using scouring pads and steel wool to remove stubborn stains.
PVC windows in Ottawa
When it comes to your window replacement, trust Canadian Comfort Windows & Doors. We have one of the largest selections of windows in the area and more than five decades of experience installing them. Visit our showroom in Ottawa to see our selection of windows, or contact us today to learn more.