When it comes to selecting windows for your home, you’ll quickly discover a multitude of options, with casement and double-hung windows being two popular choices. Each type of window offers distinct advantages for different areas of the home. To make an informed decision, it’s crucial to understand how each works and their ideal applications.
Casement windows are hinged on one side and open outward, often using a crank mechanism for easy operation. They’re excellent for maximizing ventilation and providing unobstructed views due to their wide, single-panel design. Here are some key advantages of casement windows:
· They provide ventilation and views. Their design allows you to open the window fully, promoting excellent airflow. With the NorthStar casement your window will come to a full 90-degree angle.
· They have interior screens. The screens for casement windows are on the interior of the home and will not get dirty or damaged compared to windows with exterior screens.
· They’re energy efficient. When properly sealed, the sash presses against the frame, creating a tight seal that reduces drafts and helps with insulation.
· They’re secure. Casement windows are difficult to tamper with from the outside, making them a secure choice for ground-floor rooms.
· They have a modern look. The clean lines and simple design of casement windows complement modern and contemporary home styles.
· They work in awkward spaces. They’re ideal for narrow or hard-to-reach spaces, such as above countertops or near tall furniture.
Casement windows are perfect for rooms where you want to capture a breeze and enjoy unobstructed views, such as living rooms, bedrooms and kitchens.
Double-hung windows are characterized by two vertically sliding sashes that can move independently. They provide a classic look and are well-suited for various parts of the home. Here are a handful of reasons to consider double-hung windows for your home:
· They’re versatile. Double-hung windows are suitable for almost any room in your home. Their timeless appearance blends well with both traditional and modern architectural styles.
· They provide ventilation control. You can open the top sash for warm air to escape while keeping the bottom sash closed for safety or to maintain privacy.
· They’re easy to maintain. Double-hung windows are relatively easy to clean, as both sashes can tilt inward. This feature is especially beneficial for upper-story windows.
· They save space. Because double-hung windows don’t open outward, they’re an excellent option for areas with limited exterior space, like narrow walkways, patios and porches.
· They’re safe. If you have young children, double-hung windows can be safer than casement windows, as you can open the top sash to let in fresh air without creating a low opening that a child could fall through.
Casement and double-hung windows in Ottawa
At Canadian Comfort Windows & Doors, we carry a wide range of energy-efficient, fully warrantied vinyl double-hung and casement windows to suit any home. Contact us at our Ottawa location today to speak with one of our experts. They’ll assess your home’s unique requirements and guide you toward the best choice.